Tuesday 6 May 2014

QCT

Having so many newbies to West Melton was proving problematic and causing some disruptive behaviour especially around friendships.

I've used Jenny Mosley's Quality Circle Time programme before with a lot of success so I deliberately timetabled once a week  for 45 mins.  I found specific lessons around friendships, making friends and helping each other out.  It started off with the intention of building relationships, but I quickly learnt that if there was a problem in the class i.e. chn constantly coming up asking "what to do" or interrupting I turned it into role plays and used it as a problem solving time.

From time to time problems came up in the playground with other chn so I helped the chn become more empowered in speaking up for themselves when someone is doing something they didn't like.

There is a very specific process for each lesson, you really can't "wing it" but there is a lot of flexibility.  I also like QCT because it builds relationships with the chn, chn have opportunities to be paired up with different chn and it's fun even though we are dealing with some big issues.

For more info search Quality Circle Time

And Jenny's site here, there's also some free resources available on her site : )




No comments:

Post a Comment